Camden Atlantic Railroad
In 1854 with the effort of Dr. Jonathan Pitney the railroad was constructed from Haddonfield to the village of Absecon. Later it was expanded to Cooper’s Point in Camden. Upon arrival in Absecon, passengers were ferried across Absecon Bay to Absecon Island/Atlantic City. Ferries also carried passengers between Philadelphia and Camden. On July 1, 1854, the first passenger train called the “Atison” transported 600 riders from Camden to Absecon. After being ferried from Absecon to Atlantic City the passengers boarded the locomotive “Roanoke” for the short trip to the United States Hotel. Regular train service between Camden and Absecon began on July 4, 1854. In 1855 the drawbridge across Beach Thorofare was completed and thereafter passengers traveled directly to Atlantic City from Camden with stops along the way which included Absecon Station. With the coming of the railroad, and the growth of Atlantic City, Absecon was increasing in population. Absecon’s growth is synonymous with Atlantic City. Dr. Jonathan Pitney, of the village of Absecon in Galloway Township in the nineteenth century, had a vision for a health resort on Absecon Island. His vision became Atlantic City.